RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE AUTHORIZED
EDUCATION DEBT REDUCTION FUNDING MAY BE AVAILABLE
The inpatient Psychiatrist will provide general psychiatric and medical care toinpatient geriatricveterans at the Phoenix VA Health Care System. The individuals will be responsible for completing the following items on a regular and repetitive basis. Key psychiatric functions include a full spectrum of diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation services provided by qualified interdicisiplinary staff in a safe and dignified setting with emphasis on the least restrictive approach. These include but are not limited to:
- Individual psychotherapy
- Crisis Intervention
- Patient education
- Screen inpatients to determine need for further health care.
- Provide education and counseling of patients and families in preventive care, medical conditions and use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Document suicide risk assessments in CPRS.
- Participate in interdisciplinary daily rounds.
- Order diets, nutritional supplements, and adjust diets.
- Complete discharge summaries within 24 hours of discharge.
- Evaluate inpatients detoxification needs and provide necessary medications.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the treatment team and assist other inpatient Psychiatrists as needed.
- Transfer patients (to and from) other bed services (e.g., Medicine, Surgery) as necessary, or transfer (to and from) or discharge to other VA Medical Centers of facilities.
- Screen, evaluate, and admit or enroll patients to psychiatric programs.
- Order diagnostic studies such as laboratory tests, x-rays, and evaluate results of tests
- Perform emergency duties in life threatening situations until medical/crisis team is available.
- Provide psychiatric on-call coverage.
- Teach and provide direction for health care students.
- Participate in clinical research projects.
* Citizenship. U.S. Citizenship required
* Education. A Degree of Doctor of Meidcineor an equivalenet degree from approved schools. Schools of medicine holding regular institutional members in the Association of American Medical Colleges accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth, or in the District of Columbia.
* Licensure. Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
* Proficient in spoken and written English.
Important Items to Note:
*Salary will be determined by a Compensation Panel led by the Chief of staff and attended by your peers.
* This position is a full-time permanent position.
* This position will remain open until filled.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
References: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2, Physician Qualification Standard.
This position requires that you meet all physical requirements of the vacancy. You will be required to complete a pre-employment physical.
This is a random drug testing position.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the applicationchecklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes: You will not be contacted for additional information.
If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).