- Standards and Strategic Leadership: Provide leadership and establish and enforce accountability mechanisms for all divisions in the MHD, including Family and Community Health Services, Disease Control and Environmental Health, Consumer Environmental Health and Laboratory Services, as well as for Nursing Practice and Public Health Planning and Policy. Lead the MHD in organizational strategic planning and monitor progress and informatics toward strategic goals; ensure that MHD leadership participates in and facilitates ongoing community health assessment and planning in partnership with other community stakeholders. Direct the pursuit of funding from public and private sources to address health priorities identified through organizational strategic planning and community health assessments. Direct organizational efforts to achieve and maintain local health department accreditation from the Public Health Accreditation Board. Lead strategic planning efforts related to assessing public health needs, developing public health policy, ensuring that the public, non-profit and private sector collaborate to advance initiatives and providing direct services.
- Compliance and Accountability: Ensure that public health programs are administered in a manner consistent with public health laws and regulations and that public health laws are enforced fairly and consistently. Ensure complaints and concerns are addressed in a timely manner and that staff meets regularly with the community to obtain feedback about how to improve regulatory policies and decision-making.
- Public Health Education and Advocacy: Support research and teaching collaborations with academic partners of the MHD, including the UW-Milwaukee Zilber School of Public Health, the Medical College of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health and other relevant academic partners. Educate local, state and federal policymakers about funding and policy changes needed to address current and emerging public health issues. Direct MHD participation in research activities with academic and practice partners to increase the evidence base for public health practice, including presenting at scientific conferences and participating in peer-reviewed journals. Maintain active involvement in peer professional organizations, such as the National Association of County and City Health Officials and the American Public Health Association. Draft and review local public health regulations that address emerging public health problems. Mobilize support amongst the public and policymakers for public policy changes that will positively impact community health.
- Management of Leadership Team: Coach, support and assess managers to help them achieve organizational and professional improvement goals; identify and implement measures of success and accountability. Create and promote leadership development and succession planning opportunities. Continuously monitor organizational climate to ensure a high level of staff morale and accountability of staff to the organizational mission and vision as well as to processes and outcomes.
- Public Health Emergency Response: Oversee tactical incident command and crisis communication related to public health emergencies. Ensure responses are research based, addressed quickly and efficiently and communicated in a timely and effective manner to the public. Work collaboratively with staff, the community and academic and governmental partners to prevent further occurrences and/or to anticipate and respond appropriately to threats to community health.
- Community Engagement and Collaboration: Communicate regularly and responsively with managers, staff, policy makers, and other stakeholders, including the public, through in-person meetings, community forums and other venues to ensure access and accountability for MHD functions and services. Cultivate and maintain partnerships with public sector, private sector, not-for-profit and academic stakeholders to build and promote public health initiatives. Ensure that the MHD has mechanisms and strategies for obtaining feedback and input from persons with diverse backgrounds and ensure the consideration of the role of cultural, social and behavioral factors in the accessibly, availability, acceptability and delivery of public health services. Serve as the primary spokesperson for the MHD on public health issues or identify other subject matter experts for that role within the organization, based upon the topic.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.