Help move health care into the future. At Banner Health we are changing health care to make the experience the best it can be. If that sounds like something you want to be part of, apply today.
In Wheatland, Wyoming you'll enjoy a quality lifestyle in a close-knit community that is located just 70 miles north of Wyoming's capital city of Cheyenne and an easy drive to the city of Denver. You'll experience a wealth of recreational opportunities in southern Wyoming, including many lakes and the nearby Laramie Peak and Medicine Bow National Forest areas.
In this Surgical Sterile Processing Technician role, you will help pull cases, scrub in, work closely alongside the Surgery Staff, and help with Sterile Processing. In this role, you will work full-time, working Monday through Thursday from 6:00am-3:30pm. This position does help provide on-call coverage as well. If you like an exciting, active role with a great team, this role is for you - apply today!
Platte County Memorial Hospital offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient services, including an Outpatient Clinic which brings in more than 20 of the region's top physicians in nine different medical specialties to help care for southeast Wyoming residents. A $16 million renovation created a new inpatient wing, surgical suite, and diagnostic imaging departments while making enhancements to the emergency department and laboratory. In Wheatland, Wyoming, you'll enjoy a quality lifestyle in a close-knit community that is located just 70 miles north of Wyoming's capital city of Cheyenne. You'll experience a wealth of recreational opportunities in southern Wyoming, including many lakes and the nearby Laramie Peak and Medicine Bow National Forest areas. We are also an easy drive from all of the recreational and cultural activities available in Colorado's Rocky Mountains and the city of Denver.
POSITION SUMMARY This position selects and places surgical instruments, supplies and equipment during surgery. Scrubs and provides instruments, sutures, and other sterile supplies during surgical procedure. In addition, is responsible for the proper care and handling of all general and specialty instruments including the cleaning, assembly, preparation, and sterilization of surgical instrumentation.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares for surgical procedures. Pulls appropriate instruments and supplies and ensures good working order of instruments. Reviews case carts for correct instruments and supplies. Plans ahead for upcoming surgical case needs.
2. Anticipates the surgeon's needs. Passes instruments, retracts tissue and operates equipment during surgery.
3. Demonstrates the principles of aseptic technique and universal precautions throughout the procedure. Disposes of sharps and trash and places used supplies into case cart for processing. Participates in counting of sharps, instruments and sponges. Prepares instruments for cleaning following each case.
4. Decontaminates, assembles and packages all instruments following established protocols as well as perform necessary repairs, reassembles and stores specialized surgical instruments. Prepares all order requests as necessary for replacement parts for instruments and additional equipment as necessary or upon request of physicians.
5. Assembles general surgical instrument trays, power equipment sets and all implant systems in accordance with the specifications on the inventory sheets. Inspects instruments to ensure they are in good working condition, removing and placing damaged instruments in the repair box. Determines the priority level of instrument sets and single instruments to be processed following established protocols.
6. Utilizes Standard Precautions, thoroughly decontaminating and separating surgical instrument sets, power equipment, OR case carts, implant systems, patient care equipment and all other reusable items returned to Central Sterile Processing workroom. Communicates needs for equipment maintenance and replacement and assists in process of all directly related supplies. Communicates with all customers as to the availability of instrumentation as needed for procedures.
7. Loads and operates washer decontaminators, ultrasonic cleaners, cart washers, steam gun and heat sealers and all other equipment used in the decontamination process. Maintains a clean and safe environment by adhering to Standard Precautions and Infection Control practices.
8. Ensures that all surgeon preference cards and pick lists are accurate. Assists with OR turnover between cases and transporting patients. Assist and supports anesthesia services. Participates in stocking, replenishing supplies and cleaning operating rooms.
9. This position follows safety procedures in regards to medication labeling, appropriate handling of specimens, appropriate handling of sharps, time-out procedure, radiation and laser safety, infection control, assembling and disassembling instruments. Participates in emergency call rotation. Internal customers are patients, surgeons, and nursing staff. External customers may include practicing physicians and patient families.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge and current basic life support certification.
The position requires manual dexterity and the ability to maintain professional decorum in highly stressful emergent situations. The position requires the ability to be conscientious, organized, and orderly and the ability to respond quickly to the needs of the surgeon and patient. Must stay abreast of new developments in the field.
Requires knowledge of surgical instrumentation, patient related supplies, materials, equipment, aseptic and sterilization techniques. Must have mechanical aptitude with the ability to break down moving parts, clean, lubricate and reassemble, problem solve incomplete trays and missing instrumentation and have effective organizational, communication and human relation skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Graduation from a certified school of surgical technology or 2 years of operating room experience. SPD sterile processing experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R15048
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.