Location: Miami, Florida
Works as part of the Trauma Service to achieve high quality, cost-effective health care throughout Nicklaus Children's Hospital. Works closely with other departments to maintain the licensing requirements for the organization and facilitates the performance improvement process by providing accurate and timely data.
*** This position will be remote once candidate completes training ***
Job Specific Duties
- Abstracts required information into the Trauma Registry and coordinates the reporting of data to the Florida Department of Health Trauma Registry as set forth in the Florida Trauma Standards.
- Facilitates and manages the process for identifying trauma patients in the hospital data system utilizing Cerner reports.
- Identifies issues related to performance improvement and identifies trends. Prepares data reports for Trauma Committee, M&M and trauma site visits.
- Ensures accurate and error free data reporting to the Florida Department of health at least quarterly.
- Ensures accurate and error free data reporting to NTDB quarterly during the call for data.
- Demonstrates knowledge of procedures necessary for developing and maintaining the trauma registry database. Performs or coordinates regular upgrades as recommended by the vendor to ensure proper database functioning.
- Adheres to the internal controls established to maintain patient confidentiality at all times, ensures that public use data is de-identified prior to release and Nicklaus Children's Hospital research data is adequately protected.
- Uses statistical techniques and knowledge in the representation of data.
- Conducts special projects and assignments at the direction of the Trauma Director, PI Nurse or Trauma Medical Director.
- Participates in the gathering of data for approved research projects.
- Ensures data accuracy and completeness prior to release.
Minimum Job Requirements
- CSTR - Certified Trauma Registry Spec (American Trauma Society) required within one (1) year of hire - maintains active and in good standing throughout employment
- CAISS - Certified Abbreviated Injury Scaling Specialist (Association for Advancement of Automotive Medicine) required within one (1) year of hire - maintain active and in good standing throughout employment
- American Trauma Society Trauma Registry course within one (1) year of hire
- Completion of Trauma Specific ICD-10 course
- Completion of Association for Advancement of Automotive Medicine AIS course
- 2-4 years of Registry and Coding experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- EMT, Paramedic training or vocational nursing training program highly preferred
- High school education or equivalent
- Preferred experience with Trauma One
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of basic data management practices, registry maintenance and security procedures
- Working knowledge of basic statistics, and performance improvement and patient safety principles
- Able to listen and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Understanding of ICD9-CM and AIS/ISS scoring methods
- Able to take initiative in identifying problems that affect quality, and independently problem-solve
- Able to interact cooperatively with a variety of people and departments, and work in a team environment
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus