Location: Valhalla, New York
The Coder Trainee is an onsite entry level coding position that prepares trainees to apply ICD/CPT codes to diagnoses and procedures codes in patient medical records using the current International Classification of Diseases (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Health Care Financing Administration Common Procedures Coding System (HCPCS). Codes are then entered into a coding software for automated grouping. Does related work as required.
- Demonstrates ability to learn processes and procedures related to the assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes
- Demonstrates ability to comprehend HCPCS, ICD and CPT coding classification systems
- Demonstrates ability to take instruction and constructive feedback
- Demonstrates ability to complete all training material, modules and tests to show profieicny in the assignment of ICD and CPT codes
- Participates in other medical records functions, as assigned
- Ability to work one-on-one with instructor or independently, as needed based on skill level
- Follows established hospital and Federal and State coding guidelines utilizing resources to ensure compliance
The Coder Trainee should have successfully completed an AHIMA or AAPC coding course and be prepared to pass a credentialing examination within 6-12 months after hire; or (b) satisfactory completion of at least 30 college credits* which included courses in medical terminology and ICD medical records coding or at least six credits* in anatomy and physiology;
High school or equivalency diploma, required.
Licenses / Certifications:
Good knowledge of medical terminology; working knowledge of the principles of the medical record system and its operation; working knowledge of the current HCPCS, CPT and ICD codes; ability to understand and code medical records; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments; ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position, thoroughness; sound judgment; tact; discretion; initiative; accuracy; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
NorthEast Provider Solutions Inc.